Want to try a real estate site other than Zillow? We did the research, including popularity research and put together this detailed pros and cons list of Zillow alternatives.
However, Zillow isn’t the only real estate website around. There are several that offer a variety of features. While Zillow is awesome, maybe there’s something you want it doesn’t offer. That’s what this article is all about – to list out viable alternatives to Zillow for your real estate needs. Below our list of sites similar to Zillow, we include a data-based analysis of which is the most popular as well as some charts setting out a Zillow vs. Trulia comparison.
Related: Home Plans Websites | Best Architecture Websites | Best Interior Design Books | Best Quilting Books | Types of Houses | Suburban Houses | Adobe Houses | Pretty Houses | Cute Houses | Fancy Houses | Dream Houses
Table of Contents Show
1. Home Bay
Home Bay is more than a real estate listings website. It’s disrupting the real estate agent by offering agency services to sellers and buyers. With the advent of online real estate websites, more and more homes are being found and sold as a result of online information than the hustle of local real estate agents.
Home Bay bridges the gap between being a listings website and providing realtor services.
The big benefit for buyers and sellers is both save up to 50% of the traditional commission paid to traditional agents. This amounts to thousands (often tens of thousands) of dollars in savings, which is fantastic.
Yet, sellers enjoy almost all the benefits of having an agent. Home Bay gets photos, lists the property with all the major real estate sites, provides a “For Sale” sign for the yard, handles the paperwork, negotiates the price, and virtually coordinates showings.
The only thing sellers give up is the ability to have an open house, which isn’t all that big of a deal.
- Visit Home Bay here.
- Learn more about Home Bay here.
Trulia is very much like Zillow. In fact, Zillow acquired Trulia,yet they remain separate websites. Both sites use the same listings database, so the listings are the same. Generally, now that both sites are owned by the same company, other than a different design, they’re very much the same site.
One thing I like about Trulia over Zillow is the Trulia blog including celebrity homes section. It’s updated regularly and the layout is awesome. My only complaint is in order to check out older celebrity homes, you must continually hit the “load” button. It’s not paginated so every time I go there to look at older celeb homes, I can’t enter in a paginated URL to get to older posts. Otherwise, the Trulia blog is outstanding.
Visit Trulia here
- Redfin is set up very similarly to Zillow, making it easy for people used to Zillow’s layout to start using this website instead.
- The search is performed based on a map and then will easily and quickly display information such as year built, home value, square footage, and home appreciation.
- It’s easy to perform a side-by-side comparison of the homes that you are interested in.
- There are actual real estate agents employed by Redfin. Part of their commission is given back to Redfin buyers.
- Because the agents are actual employees and not independent contractors, they offer amazing customer service. They are paid based on the ratings they receive from Redfin users.
- The information on Redfin comes directly from the MLS and updates rather quickly.
- They offer rebates on selling costs that the seller will receive at closing.
- Redfin won’t disclose the exact address of the property if the homeowner doesn’t want them to and won’t display information that the listing agent does not want displayed.
- If you are paired with the wrong agent, then it can be very difficult to get them to respond to your problems, meet you places on time, and take you seriously.
- They are not full-service agents.
Find it online here.
4. Neighborhood Scout
- It’s very easy to search by address or city to get information on property.
- They provide a lot of information that is not made available to other sites such as Trulia or Zillow.
- Much of the information that they offer is great for investors and helps them to make decisions about the risks of buying property in certain locations.
- It covers the entire United States.
- It’s easy to find information such as the average rent in an area, housing market details, and the amount of homes that are rented vs. owned.
- It offers a lot of information about crime statistics in an area to help users make informed decisions about the safety of the location where they want to move.
- You can access some of their information for free but to get all of the available information, you will have to have an account. It’s $29.99 per report, $79.99 a month, or $191.88 for a year.
- It’s difficult to find out how to speak to an actual person behind the website.
- They do not put dates on all of their statistics, which leaves some users wondering how up to date the information actually is.
Find it online here.
- The browse function on this site is one of the easiest to use, making it simple to look for property in a desired area.
- Their mobile app is fully integrated and easy to use. It offers real-time information about a home when you take a simple photograph of the property. It’s available on both Android and iPhone and has great reviews for being easy to use as well as powerful.
- Even if the property is unlisted, the app will access information about it, giving the property value of the home, condo, or apartment.
- They will help you connect with a reputable agent if you are interested in buying or selling a home.
- You can create a custom feed and desired notifications through the app so that you never miss information about property that you are interested in.
- The app makes it very easy to share homes you are interested in with other users. This simplifies the search for new property.
- It’s easy to explore the area by looking at photographs of houses that other people have taken.
- Requires an Internet connection to work so if you are in a zone where you don’t have WiFi, you won’t be able to get the information that you want about some property.
- Since it pulls information from public records, the data is not always accurate or updated.
- Once you sign up for emails, it can be very difficult to unsubscribe, which is very frustrating.
Find it online here.
Realtor.com is part of Move, Inc. which also owns a variety of real estate and home sites including Listhub, Move.com, Moving.com, Relocation.com, Doorsteps, TopProducer and SeniorHousingNet.com.
- Run by the National Association of Realtors, this site has very up to date information listed on it.
- It’s a great place to begin your search as it is connected to the MLS and will have all of the most recently-listed homes on the website.
- You can use Realtor.com to search through other websites such as Homesnap, Redfin, and Neighborhood Scout and then quickly get in touch with an agent.
- They offer updated blogs that provide a lot of information about the housing market, making your home appealing to buyers, and the selling and buying process in general.
- They help to connect you with a lender to start the preapproval process.
- It’s an international site and offers information in more than 10 languages.
- It makes it easy to search for agents in your area and then connect with them when you have questions or want additional help.
- It does not have the strong search function that other sites do.
- It is not as intuitive or as easy to use, which is frustrating for a lot of people who may not be very Internet savvy.
- While it does offer links to other sites to help with moving, remodeling, and even improving your outdoor space, this takes away from the feel of the site as being an expert on housing prices and information.
- The information about the property you are interested in is not laid out in a very clear manner.
Find it online here.
7. Real Estate ABC
- They have a massive database that makes it very easy to find your home or a home that you are looking for.
- Each home that they list has up to 30 comps, which will help when it comes time to decide what to list your home for or if the home you are considering is overpriced.
- This site does a great job helping you come up with a listing price for your home so you can get started selling right away.
- They offer a lot of informational articles that are designed to help users who are thinking about buying or selling a home.
- With 16 different real estate and mortgage calculators, it’s easy to find out if you can afford the home of your dreams, figure the cost of living in an area, and calculate how quickly you can pay off your mortgage.
- The website is not very user friendly and can take some time to understand how to best use it.
- The amount of information offered by this website can be very overwhelming, especially for users who are just starting their search for a new home.
- There are a lot of ads on the website, which can detract from using it and make it difficult to focus on what you are actually trying to find out.
Find it online here.
- The website is incredibly easy to use and offers local mortgage rates as well as the value of the property that you have searched for.
- It’s easy to see how much other homes in the area have sold for so you can compare them to the property you are looking at or see what people are willing to pay if you are going to be selling your home.
- It does not take specific information about the home into consideration when coming up with a value, which means that it can be very far off of the real price.
- It does not link to the MLS.
- It’s a great way to learn about property in the area but for exact numbers and updated information, you will have to work with a skilled realtor.
Find it online here.
- It’s free to register to be able to use their pricing tool.
- It’s easy to find properties that are for sale in your area, including foreclosures.
- They come up with a value for your home based on comparable properties in the area that were recently sold.
- It’s easy to look into the prices of various homes in the area and then list yours for sale as well, which is the primary design of the website.
- It makes it easy to calculate your mortgage using their on-screen mortgage calculator.
- Created to help people sell their homes without a realtor, it doesn’t offer as much information about local properties as other websites do.
- It does not offer all of the neighborhood information that many of the other real estate sites do.
- The market values that they come up with for local homes are run through a computer program, not created by an actual human, which means that they won’t take into consideration all of the features of the home.
- While it’s easy to contact the seller directly, this can create an awkward situation and most people find that working with a realtor to be the go-between is a good idea.
- You will still have to get an appraisal if you are going to be buying a home that you found listed on this site.
- The information that you will get about the property has been filled in by the sellers so it’s important to take it with a grain of salt because they might not be totally correct about what they have written regarding their properties.
Find it online here.
OfferMarket is a next generation real estate marketplace. This free listing website features For Sale By Owner, wholesale, and agent listings. If you want to sell your house fast for optimal net proceeds, you can use the Get Offers feature to receive competitive offers from qualified buyers in the OfferMarket network. Get Offers is a free service for sellers — OfferMarket handles all of the paperwork, title work, and closing coordination in exchange for a small fixed service fee paid by the buyer at closing.
Properties listed on OfferMarket range from turnkey luxury houses to distressed houses in need of complete renovation. OfferMarket serves the full spectrum of buyers (fix and flip through first time homebuyers) and sellers (investors through homeowners).
Which real estate website is the most popular?
As a website publisher, I invest in tools that enables me to investigate search volume for various brands and terms. This software is also handy at assessing the popularity of various brands and websites.
Monthly Search Volume for Each Real Estate Site
The following sets out the estimated number of monthly searches for each of the above real estate websites in April 2018:
- Zillow: 12,530,000
- Trulia: 2,470,000
- Realtor.com: 1,260,000
- Redfin: 965,000
- ForSaleByOwner: 271,000
- Homesnap: 40,000
- Eppraisal: 10,000
As you can see, Zillow is by far the most popular based on monthly search volume for the various website names.
Related: Best Books on Architecture | Best Gardening Books | DIY Websites | Top Interior Design Websites and Blogs
Zillow vs. Trulia Popularity
Since Zillow and Trulia are the 2 real estate giants, let’s compare them in Google Trends. Here are Google Trends charts comparing the two for the past 5 years:
- CoreLogic Matrix.
Redfin's top competitors include Zumper, HomeLight, and OpenDoor.Which is best property website? ›
- Best Overall: Zillow.
- Most Accurate: Realtor.com.
- Best Mobile App: Trulia.
- Best for Foreclosures: Foreclosure.com.
- Best for Renting: Apartments.com.
- Best for “For Sale By Owner”: FSBO.com.
- Best for Heroes: Homes for Heroes.
The most accurate home value estimator is Redfin as it uses historical pricing data and also considers real-time demand and market trends. Redfin estimates are more accurate than Zillow and the interface is intuitive making it easy to find exactly what you're looking for.Which app has the most accurate home value? ›
Trulia is the best for home values because it builds its home value estimates from more factors than any other app, such as city and county assessments, local comparative sales of similar homes, and price history trends. Eight out of 10 times they are within 20% of the sales price. The app is free for users.What are the top 10 real estate companies? ›
- Keller Williams Realty. Keller Williams real estate was founded in 1983 by Gary Keller and Joe Williams. ...
- RE/MAX. ...
- Coldwell Banker Real Estate. ...
- Century 21. ...
- Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices. ...
- Compass. ...
- eXp Realty. ...
- Sotheby's International Realty.
Soaring mortgage rates drove home listings and sales sharply lower in September, according to Redfin. Home sales plummeted 25% year over year, while new listings plunged 22%. These were the largest declines on record, other than those during the early stages of the pandemic.What is the difference between Redfin and Zillow? ›
What is the main difference between Redfin and Zillow? Redfin is a discount brokerage, while Zillow is a marketplace. The latter also allows sellers to make offers directly rather than working with an agent.How do I sell my house fast in a slow market? ›
- Know Your Market. ...
- Price Your Home Right. ...
- Make Your Home Presentable. ...
- Market Your Home Aggressively. ...
- Be Flexible With Showings. ...
- Play Up Your Home's Best Features. ...
- Offer Buyers Incentives. ...
- Offer Flexible Terms.
We have compiled a list of solutions that reviewers voted as the best overall alternatives and competitors to Realtor.com, including Zillow, Redfin, LoopNet, and Trulia.
Selling your home directly to a reputable, well-funded "cash house buying company" is the fastest way to sell your house. Most of these companies will make you a formal offer within 24 hours, and will be able to complete the purchase within as little as 2-3 weeks.What is the most used real estate website? ›
Zillow is the largest real estate website in the United States, ranked by visitor traffic. In the last year, Zillow averaged 68 million monthly visitors.What is the most popular real estate brokerage website? ›
- Zillow.com. One of the largest websites for real estate is Zillow.com. ...
- Realtor.com. Realtor.com is linked to the National Association of Realtors. ...
- Homes.com. This site fills its pages with homes from the MLS and other real estate sites. ...
- Redfin. ...
- RealtyTrac. ...
- Auction.com. ...
- MLS.com. ...
Redfin's home value estimator is more accurate than Zillow's when it comes to pinpointing the sales price. According to Redfin, its estimates are approximately 74% accurate within 5% of the sales price for listed homes. By comparison, Zillow is only 67% accurate within 5% of the sale price for listed homes.How can I get the most accurate home value? ›
You can determine home value by using an online valuation tool, hiring an appraiser, using a real estate agent, or checking comparable homes in your area. Using an online valuation tool or pulling comps in your neighborhood is easy and quick, but you'll receive more accurate results using a REALTOR® or appraiser.Which is more accurate realtor or Zillow? ›
Realtor.com is arguably the most accurate real estate listing platform today. It is affiliated with over 580 regularly updated MLS databases across the U.S. Realtor.com also operates in more regions than Zillow and Redfin simply because it's been around for longer, that is since 1996.Are Zillow estimates 2022 accurate? ›
Zillow's Zestimate has been found to have a nationwide error rate of 1.9 percent for on-market homes. When it comes to estimating home values for off-market housing, the error rate jumps to 6.9 percent. Overall, the accuracy of Zestimate is approximately 4 to 5 percent.What updates increase home value the most? ›
- Landscaping. ...
- Kitchen Remodel. ...
- Bathroom Remodel. ...
- Adding a Deck. ...
- Finishing a Basement. ...
- Replacing Windows. ...
- Replacing Your Garage Door. ...
- Exterior Door Replacement.
The Zestimate is often less accurate than your Realtor's estimate and can be thousands of dollars off. According to Zillow's Zestimate page, “The nationwide median error rate for the Zestimate for on-market homes is 1.9%, while the Zestimate for off-market homes has a median error rate of 7.5%.Which app is best for selling property? ›
1. 99acres Real Estate & Property. One of the oldest real estate apps, 99acres is the most home search app. Its user-friendly feature with verified listings and map search makes the process of house hunting very easy and makes it one of the best real estate apps on the list.
- OJO Labs. ...
- Morty. ...
- Post Real Estate Group. ...
- DASH Carolina. ...
- Onicx Group. Growth rate: 1,414 percent. ...
- Kupperman Companies. Growth rate: 1,181 percent. ...
- 5511 VENTURES. Growth rate: 1,125 percent. ...
- Bluefield. Growth rate: 1,096 percent.
The listing is held by the Kardashian-Jenner family's go-to real estate agent, Tomer Fridman of Compass.Which is the most trusted real estate brand? ›
1) DLF Ltd
The first project of DLF Ltd was in Krishna Nagar, East Delhi. It got finalized in 1949. This company is very popular among the masses as well and among the top real estate companies in Gurgaon. DLF Ltd successfully managed to generate revenue of over Rs 7,766 Crore.
Zillow's Shuttered Home-Flipping Business Lost $881 Million in 2021 - WSJ.Is Redfin losing money? ›
Net loss was $90.2 million, compared to a net loss of $18.9 million in the third quarter of 2021. Net loss attributable to common stock was $90.5 million. Net loss per share attributable to common stock, diluted, was $0.83, compared to net loss per share, diluted, of $0.20 in the third quarter of 2021.Will Redfin ever be profitable? ›
CEO Glenn Kelman indicated during the company's Q1 2022 earnings call that Redfin will post an operating profit this year and bottom line profits in 2024.Why is Zillow no longer buying homes? ›
Zillow was unable to accurately forecast the price of homes and said the business ultimately required too much capital. Now, Zillow users will still be able to get an instant cash offer for their home, but the transaction is facilitated by Opendoor.How is Opendoor different from Zillow? ›
Remember: Zillow is optimized around home buyers, while Opendoor is optimized around home sellers. The bottom line: With similar conversion rates, neither company has built a better mousetrap, but Zillow's mousetrap is exponentially larger.Is Trulia better than Zillow? ›
Zillow and Trulia are owned by the same company, so they offer a fairly similar experience overall. Zillow is generally better for home buyers and sellers, but Trulia offers excellent tools for researching rental listings.What is the slowest month to sell a house? ›
Sellers can net thousands of dollars more if they sell during the peak months of May, June, and July versus the two slowest months of the year, October and December, according to a 2022 report by ATTOM Data Solutions.
Fixing cosmetic damage
Sure, peeling paint, a weathered back door and scuffed floors may make things look a little run-down, but if you are looking to save some cash on repairs and renovations, you'll rather want the money to be put to good use.
Factors that make a home unsellable "are the ones that cannot be changed: location, low ceilings, difficult floor plan that cannot be easily modified, poor architecture," Robin Kencel of The Robin Kencel Group at Compass in Connecticut, who sells homes between $500,000 and $28 million, told Business Insider.Do realtors really need a website? ›
A website is an ideal place for agents to educate clients and provide valuable resources. It's vital that agents provide information beyond themselves and the services they offer. They should focus on delivering content that can help guide potential clients throughout their buying or selling process.Do attractive Realtors do better? ›
Hardly! Salter and his fellow researchers also found considerable caveats to their findings. For instance, in the seven-year period the researchers studied, attractive agents typically carry 17 fewer listings than average-looking agents and had 11 fewer sales, and it also took them longer to sell those properties.Why is Zillow so much higher than realtor com? ›
Is Realtor.com or Zillow more Accurate? This is another frequently asked question from home sellers and buyers. The main difference between Realtor.com home values and Zillow Zestimates is that Zillow uses its own program to create a Zestimate, while Realtor.com uses several 3rd parties to provide multiple home values.Is it better to sell a house empty or with furniture? ›
Thousands of sellers have been in the exact position you are in right now and the first question they always have is: “Will this house sell for less because it is empty.” The short answer is yes, empty houses do take longer to sell than furnished, occupied or staged homes.What makes a property sell fast? ›
One of the most effective ways to sell your home fast is to price it competitively. If you price it too high, you detract prospective buyers out price out potential bidders. In addition, it make take longer to settle the negotiation process if prospective buyers want your price to come down.What is the best time to sell a house? ›
Late spring and early summer are the best times of year to sell a home, according to a May 2021 report from real estate research firm ATTOM Data Solutions. The analysis covered 10 years' worth of single-family and condo home sales from 2011 to 2020.Who is the biggest competitor of Zillow? ›
For core listing services, Realtor.com is their biggest competitor. What site is better than Zillow? Zillow's real estate offerings are some of the most comprehensive, but Redfin and Realtor.com offer some comparable services, especially in terms of home valuation.What are the 3 most important things when looking to buy real estate? ›
If you have been involved in real estate for any length of time, you've heard it said that the three most important things when it comes to real estate are “location, location, location.” I've heard nationally-recognized experts say that over and over on national media.
But no real estate agent has ever entered Guinness' international pantheon, until now. Meet Ben Caballero, a Realtor® and broker in Addison, TX, who was just recognized as achieving “the most annual home sales transactions through MLS by an individual sell-side real estate agent.”Who is the highest earning real estate agent? ›
Caballero broke his record, which he set in 2018 selling 3,496 new homes in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, worth $1.384 billion. Ben Caballero, a current Guinness World Record title holder and No. 1-ranked real estate agent in the U.S., set a new record for home sales in Dallas-Ft.Which real estate site has the most accurate listings? ›
Realtor.com is affiliated with the National Association of Realtors and uses MLS listings which are sourced from around 580 regional databases and considered the gold standard for quality listings. For this reason, Realtor.com is our pick for most accurate real estate website.Are Redfin estimates too high? ›
Are Redfin Estimates accurate? According to Redfin, their estimate has “a median error rate of 3.02% for on-market homes and 8.69% for off market homes.” In other words - if you're a potential seller who hasn't put your home on the market yet, the estimate may be off by many thousands of dollars.Why is Realtor estimate so low? ›
In addition, Realtor.com does not provide any local sales information, so you can't see which comparable home sales it chose to determine your home value estimate. Until Realtor.com provides home sales data and a median error rate as Zillow and Redfin do, we give its estimator a lower rating (three out of five stars).Is Trulia or Zillow more accurate? ›
How Accurate Are Trulia Estimates? Trulia Estimates are identical to Zillow Zestimates because both websites use the same data. The only difference is that Zillow Zestimates show both on-market and off-market properties, but Trulia only shows off-market estimates.Is MLS more accurate than Zillow? ›
Your State's MLS
If you are able to view the MLS in your area online directly, you will only see properties that are currently active on the market. This makes the MLS more accurate than Zillow, which frequently keeps properties listed as available long after they have been taken off the market.
Zillow and Trulia are owned by the same company, so they offer a fairly similar experience overall. Zillow is generally better for home buyers and sellers, but Trulia offers excellent tools for researching rental listings.Does Zillow underestimate home values? ›
The Zestimate is often less accurate than your Realtor's estimate and can be thousands of dollars off. According to Zillow's Zestimate page, “The nationwide median error rate for the Zestimate for on-market homes is 1.9%, while the Zestimate for off-market homes has a median error rate of 7.5%.How accurate is a zestimate 2022? ›
Zillow's Zestimate has been found to have a nationwide error rate of 1.9 percent for on-market homes. When it comes to estimating home values for off-market housing, the error rate jumps to 6.9 percent. Overall, the accuracy of Zestimate is approximately 4 to 5 percent.
Government, economists, financial institutions, appraisers and others all rely on MLS® data. This is because Realtors who submit the listing information, and MLS® staff at real estate boards who conduct quality control, are trained and educated in the complexities of real estate.How close is Zillow to appraisal? ›
For most major markets, the Zestimate for on-market homes is within 10% of the final sale price more than 95% of the time. The nationwide median error rate for the Zestimate for on-market homes is 1.9%, while the Zestimate for off-market homes has a median error rate of 6.9%.Is Zumper or Zillow better? ›
Reviewers felt that Zumper meets the needs of their business better than Zillow. When comparing quality of ongoing product support, reviewers felt that Zillow is the preferred option. For feature updates and roadmaps, our reviewers preferred the direction of Zumper over Zillow.What is a hot home on Redfin? ›
What is a Hot Home? A Hot Home is a home that we think will sell within the first two weeks of being listed on the market.Should I use Redfin or Zillow? ›
Both companies are reputable and offer consistent quality. The “best” choice depends on what services you need. If you're thinking of selling your house as a FSBO, Zillow is the clear choice, since Redfin doesn't take FSBOs. If you're looking for lower prices, Redfin wins out.Why are Zillow estimates higher than Realtor? ›
Is Realtor.com or Zillow more Accurate? This is another frequently asked question from home sellers and buyers. The main difference between Realtor.com home values and Zillow Zestimates is that Zillow uses its own program to create a Zestimate, while Realtor.com uses several 3rd parties to provide multiple home values.Why is Zillow and Redfin so different? ›
Nationally, Zillow is slightly more accurate than Redfin. However, their accuracy varies from city to city and state to state, and Redfin is more accurate in some areas. Both estimates are reasonably precise for homes currently on the market but are much less accurate for homes not currently listed for sale.